- Role of clouds in atmospheric convection and climate
- Boundary layer meteorology
- Numerical modeling
- Tropical meteorology
- ATM S 123
- ATM S 234
- ATM S 456
- Fellow, Mesoscale Meteorology Summer Program – National Center for Atmospheric Research (1984)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Advanced Study Program – National Center for Atmospheric Research (1984-1985)
- National Science Foundation Presidential Young Investigator in Atmospheric Science (1988-1994)
- American Meteorological Society Editor’s Award
- UW Department of Atmospheric Sciences Annual Teaching Award (2001-2002)
- Elected Fellow of the American Meteorological Society (Jan. 2004)
- American Meteorological Society Jule G. Charney Award (Jan. 2012)
- American Geophysical Union Reviewer Award (for JAMES) (Mar. 2015)
- Editor, Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, 1/95-12/99.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems, 1/16-present
- Member and Fellow, American Meteorological Society. Have served on AMS Committees on Waves and Stability (1989-1991, 1996-1998, as chair and conference chair 1997-8), Mesoscale Meteorology conference co-chair in 1992, Haurwitz Prize Selection Committee, 1993-1994, Fellows Selection Committee 2006-2009 and on the program committee of the AMS-sponsored Second International Air-Sea Interaction Conference, Lisbon, September1994, AMS Research Awards Committee 2014-2017
- Member and Fellow, American Geophysical Union. AGU Atmospheric Sciences Junior/Ascent Awards Committee, 1/17-present.
- IPCC WG1 Fifth Assessment Lead Author, Chapter 7, Clouds and Aerosols (2013)
- National Research Council study chair: A National Strategy for Advancing Climate Modeling (2012)
- Co-Chair, Cloud Feedbacks Model Intercomparison Project (CFMIP), 6/13-present.
- University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) Board of Trustees, 10/14-present.
- UMAC (UCAR Community NCEP Modeling Advisory Committee), 3/15-present
- AMS Research Awards Committee 2014-present.
- Southern Ocean (SOCRATES) Scientific Steering Group, 5/13-present
Jones, C. R., C. S. Bretherton, R. Sun, J. Han, H. Guo, and M. Zhao, 2017: Hindcast cloud and radiation diagnostics for NCEP GFS and GFDL AM3. Mon. Wea. Rev., submitted 11/2016, in review, to be resubmitted.
Bretherton, C. S., and P. N. Blossey, 2017: Understanding mesoscale aggregation of shallow cumulus convection using large-eddy simulation. J. Adv. Model. Earth. Syst., submitted 3/2017, in review.
Parishani, H., M. S. Pritchard, C. S. Bretherton, M. C. Wyant, and M. Khairoutdinov, 2017: Towards low cloud-permitting cloud superparameterization. J. Adv. Model. Earth. Syst., submitted 3/2017, in review.
Narenpitak, P., C. S. Bretherton, and M. Khairoutdinov, 2017: Cloud and circulation feedbacks in a near-global aquaplanet cloud-resolving model. J. Adv. Model. Earth Syst., submitted 11/2016, in review.
Siler, N., S. Po-Chedley, and C. S. Bretherton, 2017: Variability in modelled cloud feedback tied to differences in the climatological spatial pattern of cloud albedo. Climate Dyn., submitted 11/2016, in review.
McGibbon, J. and Bretherton, C. S., 2017: Skill of ship-following large-eddy simulations in reproducing MAGIC observations across the Northeast Pacific stratocumulus to cumulus transition region. J. Adv. Model. Earth Syst.. Accepted Author Manuscript. doi:10.1002/2017MS000924.
Schneider, T., J. Teixeira, C. S. Bretherton, F. Brient, K. Pressel, C. Schaer, and P. Siebesma, 2017: Climate goals and computing the future of clouds. Nature Climate Change, 7, 3-5. doi:10.1038/nclimate3190.