- Climate change
- Dynamic meteorology
- Radiation and remote sensing
- ATMS 111: Global Warming
- ATMS 211: Climate and Climate Change
- ATMS 321: Physical Climatology
- ATMS 501: Fundamentals of Physics and Chemistry of the Atmosphere
- ATMS 552: Objective Analysis
- ATMS 571: Advanced Physical Climatology
- First in Graduating Class of 1971, School of Engineering, University of Portland.
- Senior Fellow, Joint Institute for the Study of the Atmosphere and Ocean, 1984-.
- NASA Group Achievement Award, ERBE Data Validation and Archival Team, May 1988
- Fellow, American Meteorological Society, 1989
- NASA Group Achievement Award, Airborne Antarctic Ozone Experiment, April 1989
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 1992
- Editors’ Award for Exceptional Reviews, Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, American Meteorological Society, 1992
- Editors’ Citation for Excellence in Refereeing for Geophysical Research Letters, American Geophysical Union, 1993.
- Editors’ Award for Exceptional Reviews, Journal of Climate, American Meteorological Society, 1996
- Editors’ Award for Exceptional Reviews, Journal of the Climate, American Meteorological Society, 1998
- Aldo Leopold Leadership Fellow, Ecological Society of America, 1999
- NASA Group Achievement Award, Earth Science Research Strategy Development Team, June 2001
- Fellow of the American Geophysical Union, 2002
- NASA Distinguished Public Service Medal, 2005
- NASA Group Achievement Award, Aura Project, 2005
- Haurwitz Lecturer, American Meteorological Society, 2011
- The Carl-Gustaf Rossby Research Medal, American Meteorological Society, 2013
- Elected to US National Academy of Sciences, 2016
- Washington State Academy of Sciences, 2016
- Associate Editor, Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, an American Meteorological Society journal, 1983-93.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Geophysical Research(Atmospheres), an American Geophysical Union journal, 1985-88.
- Editorial Board, Contributions to Atmospheric Physics, a German Meteorological Society journal, 1987-1999.
- Graduate Program Coordinator, Department of Atmospheric Sciences, University of Washington, 1983-89.
- Program Chairman, Third AMS Conference on the Upper Atmosphere, San Diego, 1981.
- Convenor, IAMAP Symposium, “Prediction of Transitions in the Climate System on Interannual Time Scales,” Vancouver, Canada, 1987.
- AAAS, Electorate Nominating Committee of the Section on Atmospheric and Hydrospheric Sciences, 1990-93.
- Convenor, IAMAP Symposium, “Large-Scale Atmospheric Flow and Variability”, IUGG, Vienna, Austria, 1991.
- Convenor, IAMAS Symposium, “Clouds, Climate and Land Surface Processes”, IUGG, Boulder, Colorado, 1995.
- Organizing Committee, WCRP Conference on “Polar Processes and Global Climate”, Rosario, Washington, 3-6 November 1997
- Organizing Committee, First International Conference on Asian Monsoon and Pollution over the Monsoon Environment, New Delhi, December 1997
- Board of Reviewing Editors, Science Magazine, AAAS, 2002-2011
- Associate Editor, Journal of Climate, 2004-
- AGU, A Section Fellows Nominating Committee, , 2004-6, Chair, 2005 & 2006
- Editor, Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, 2007-2010
Hartmann, D.L., Global Physical Climatology, Academic Press, San Diego, 411pp., 1994, Second Edition 2016.
Kohyama, T., and D.L. Hartmann, 2016: Nonlinear ENSO Warming Suppression (NEWS) causing a La Niña-like mean-state response to global warming. J. Climate , , submitted. Paper PDF
Wall, C.J., T. Kohyama and D.L. Hartmann, 2016: Observed low cloud occurrence and boundary layer structure near the wintertime Southern Ocean sea ice margin and implications for sea ice growth. J. Climate , , submitted. Paper PDF
Kohyama, T., D.L. Hartmann and D.S. Battisti, 2016: La Nina-like mean-state response to global warming and potential oceanic roles. J. Climate , , submitted. Paper PDF
McCoy, Daniel T., Ryan Eastman, Dennis L. Hartmann and Robert Wood, 2016: Controls on subtropical low cloud as diagnosed from AIRS, MODIS and EMCWF-Interim reanalysis and the inferred changes of low cloud fraction in a warming climate. J. Climate, , , in review. PDF
Ceppi, P., D.T. McCoy and D.L. Hartmann, 2016: Observational evidence of a negative shortwave cloud feedback in mid to high latitudes Geophys. Res. Lett. , , 43, 1331-1339, doi:10.1002/2015GL067499. Paper PDF Paper and Supplementary Materials PDF
McCoy, Daniel T., Ivy Tan, Dennis L. Hartmann, Mark D. Zelinka and Trude Storelvmo, 2016: On the relationshps among cloud cover, mixed-phase partioning and planetary albedo in GCMs. JAMES, , 8, doi:10.1002/2015MS000589. PDF