Faculty and Academic Staff:
Family and Medical Leave Act
and/or Paid Sick Leave

Changes to the Family and Medical Leave Act forms and procedures have changed. The message below contains procedures and a link to the AHR medical and family leave site for forms and additional information.

Message on Family and Medical Leave Act and/or Paid Sick Leave

Effective August 1, 2013, new forms will be required to request paid sick leave, family care leave, and leave covered under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). The required forms are currently available on the Academic Human Resources website (http://www.washington.edu/admin/acadpers/faculty/medical_leave.html). You will continue to follow your unit’s procedures for scheduling a leave of absence.

To request FMLA and/or paid sick leave:

      1. Notify your supervisor of your intent to request leave.
      2. Complete Part 1 of the appropriate leave certification form before giving it to your healthcare provider (HCP).
      3. Ask your HCP or your family member’s HCP to complete Part 2 of the form and forward it to Academic Human Resources (AHR).

Upon receipt of your request, AHR will notify you with specific information about your rights and eligibility for FMLA and/or paid sick leave. If you have questions, please contact your unit's administrator (Summer Dela Cruz, CoENV AHR) or Academic Human Resources (acadpers@uw.edu).

(Back to top)