Congratulations to Professor Lynn McMurdie and our student and staff forecasting team that once again did an excellent job in the National Weather Challenge contest. Lynn has done a tremendous service catalyzing this effort and serving as the faculty leader. Graduate students Jonathan Weyn and Daniel Lloveras served as the team managers, which required lots of effort as well.
- Our student forecast team came in second out of 37 schools after being barely nudged out by CSU. (UW won last year.)
- Our Juniors Calen Randall and Christine Neumaier took first and second place in the competition for upper division undergraduates. There were something on the order of 1000 students participating in this category.
- Joe Zagrodnik won a tie for first in the end-of-year bracket contest
- Jonathan Weyn won first place overall out of about 1500 forecasters. This is the 2nd straight year that Jonathan took first place, a feat that has NEVER been done before.
- The team also benefited from intelligent use of Jonathan’s AI based UWmos.
Check out the WxChallenge Cumulative Results here!