- Atmospheric general circulation
- Water vapor
- Climate change
- ATM S 111, Global Warming
- ATM S 321, Science of Climate
- ATM S 442, Atmospheric Motions II
- ATM S 509/OCEAN 512, Geophysical Fluid Dynamics I
- ATM S 542, GFD II: Balance Dynamics
- ATM S 587, Fundamentals of Climate Change
- ATM S 591, Modeling the General Circulation of the Atmosphere
- Department of Atmospheric Sciences Annual Teaching Award, 2009, 2012, 2014.
- NSF CAREER Faculty Early Career Development Award, 2009-2014.
- University of Washington Royalty Research Fund Award, 2009-2010.
- NOAA Climate and Global Change Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2005-2007.
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, 2000-2003.
- NCSU College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences Scholarly Achievement Award, spring 2000.
- NCSU College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences Research Award, spring 2000.
- UW Atmospheric Sciences Undergraduate Curriculum Committee member, 2008-present. Helped design Climate Track for the undergraduate major. Current Climate Track faculty mentor. Committee chair, 2012-present.
- Chair of ATMS 111 homework committee, 2009, developingHWtopics for a unified online database.
- Program on Climate Change governing board member, 2009-present.
- Organizer, Program on Climate Change Summer Institute on Climate Feedbacks, summer 2010.
- Helped prepare two successfully funded Student TechFee grants to upgrade departmental computers and link these together as a Condor cluster for high performance computing, 2009-2010.
- Member, Provost’s Committee on Interdisciplinary Teaching and Learning, 2012-2013.
- WCRP Grand Challenge on Clouds, Climate Sensitivity, and Circulation organizing committee, 2013-present.
- Participant in UW Faculty Field Tour, learning about the industry and culture of the state, 2008.
- Reviewer for 26 journals/funding agencies: Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, Journal of Climate, Geophysical Research Letters, Science, Nature, Nature Geoscience, Nature Climate Change, Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, Tellus A, Dynamics of Atmospheres and Oceans, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Atmospheric Science Letters, Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres, Communications in Mathematical Sciences, Geoscientific Model Development, Climate Dynamics, Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems, Monthly Weather Review, Advances in Science and Research, Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena, Cold Regions Science and Technology, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan, Physics of Fluids, the National Science Foundation, and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
- Member, American Meteorological Society and American Geophysical Union.
Raftery, A. E., Zimmer, A.. Frierson, D. M. W., Startz, R. and P. Liu. Less than 2 C warming by 2100 unlikely. Nature Climate Change, doi: 10.1038/NCLIMATE3352, 2017.
Potter, S., Dawson, E. and D. M. W. Frierson. Southern African orography impacts on low clouds and the Atlantic ITCZ in a coupled model. Geophys. Res. Lett., 44, 3283-3289, doi: 10.1002/2017GL073098, 2017. Official link
Levine, A. F. Z., McPhaden, M. J. and D. M. W. Frierson. The impact of the AMO on multidecadal ENSO variability. Geophys. Res. Lett., 44, 3877-3886, doi: 10.1002/2017GL072524, 2017. Official link
Maroon, E. A. and D. M. W. Frierson. The impact of continent’s longitudinal extent on tropical precipitation. Geophys. Res. Lett., 43, 11921-11929, doi: 10.1002/2016GL071518, 2016. Official link
Seo, K.-H., Lee, H.-J. and D. M. W. Frierson. Unraveling the teleconnection mechanisms that induce wintertime temperature anomalies over the Northern Hemisphere continents in response to the Madden-Julian Oscillation. J. Atmos. Sci., 73, 3557-3571, doi: 10.1175/JAS-D-16-0036.1, 2016. Official link
Maroon, E. A., Frierson, D. M. W., Kang, S. M., and J. Scheff. The precipitation response to an idealized subtropical continent. J. Climate, 29, 4543-4564, doi: 10.1175/JCLI-D-15-0616.1, 2016. Official link
Singh, H. K. A., Bitz, C. M. and D. M. W. Frierson. The Global Climate Response to Lowering Surface Orography of Antarctica and the Importance of Atmosphere-Ocean Coupling. J. Climate, 29, 4137-4153, doi: 10.1175/JCLI-D-15-0442.1, 2016. Official link