- Large-scale atmosphere-ocean dynamics
- Tropical circulation
- Physics of natural variability in Arctic climate
- Climate dynamics
- ATM S 123
- ATM S 234
- ATM S 456
- Whos who in the West 1995, 1996
- Whos who in America 1997
- Golden Citation Award (Australia) 1995
- Recipient, Dept. of Atmospheric Sciences Annual Teaching Award, 1994; 1997
- Houghton Lecturer, MIT 1999 (www-paoc.mit.edu/paoc/events/houghton.htm)
- Keynote or Invited speaker at numerous national and international meetings, including the annual meeting of the American Geophysical Union Annual Meeting (2002, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013), American Quaternary Association AMQUA (2002, 2012), the Goldschmidt Conference (2002), the Geological Society of America Annual Meeting (2003), and the Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society Annual Meeting (1995, 2011, 2015).
- Distinguished Visiting Scholar, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Summer 2002.
- Thompson Lecturer, NCAR 2004 (http://www.asp.ucar.edu/thompson/thompson_lecture.jsp)
- Fellow, American Meteorological Society
- Fellow, American Geophysical Union
- Professor II, Department of Geophysics, University of Bergen (January 2007 – 2012)
- Quay Hebrew Distinguished Lecturer, Brigham Young University (2008)
- Flint Lecturer, Yale University (2008)
- Henry Kendall Lecturer, MIT (2010)
- Agassiz Visiting Lecturer, Harvard (2011)
- Ecological Society of America Sustainability Science Award (2013) for “Seeds and Sustainability” (Ed P. Matson) (contributing author)
- Carnegie Centennial Professor of Scotland (2014-2016)
- H. Burr Steinbach Visiting Scholar, WHOI (2014)
- Houghton Lecturer, MIT (2015)
- Visiting Scholar, Harvard University (2015)
- Elected to give the American Geophysical Union’s Stephen Schneider Lecture (2016)
- 2010-present: Member, External Advisory Board, The Washington Journal of Environmental Law & Policy
- 2012: Convener, The NOAA Climate and Global Change Postdoctoral Summer Symposium, Steamboat CO
- 2012 – present: Member, the NCAR Community Earth System Model Advisory Board (CAB)
- 2012: Panelist, Meet Greet Teach
- 2012-present: Advisory Board, Scandinavian Studies Bergen Exchange Program
- 2012: Faculty Search Committee, School of Marine and Environmental Affairs
- 2013: Visiting Committee, Department of Earth and Planetary Science, Harvard University
- 2013- 2017: Member, Advisory Board for the Center for Climate and Resilience Research in Chile
- 2013 – present: Editorial Board, The Sea
- 2015-2017: NOAA/UCAR Postdoctoral Fellowship Selection Committee
- 2016: Member, International Review Panel, Earth Observatory of Singapore (EOS)
- 2016: University Unitarian Church Seattle (seminar on Climate Change and Global Food production)
- 2016: Chair, Search Committee for Faculty position in Regional Climate Modelling
- 2016: Chair, Search Committee for Faculty position in Climate Dynamics
- 2016-2018: Member, EarthLab Science Steering Committee
- 2016 – present: Member, EarthLab Steering Committee
2017: Wills, Robert C., T. Schneider, J.M. Wallacce, D.S. Battisti, and D.L. Hartmann: Disentangling global warming, multi-decadal internal variability, and El Nino in Pacific temperatures. Submitted, PNAS, Aug.
2017: Wills, Robert C., D.S. Battisti, D.L. Hartmann, and T. Schneider: Extracting modes of variability and change from climate model ensembles. Submitted, Climate Informatics, July.
2017: Atwood, A.R., D.S. Battisti, C.M. Bitz, and Julian P. Sachs: Response of the tropical Pacific to abrupt climate change 8,200 years ago. Submitted, Nature Geosciences, July.
2017: White, R.H., D.S. Battisti, and G. Skok: Precipitation events tracked in time and space in gridded observational data . In press, GRL, July.
2017: Haugstad, A.D., K.C. Armour, D.S. Battisti, and B.E.J. Rose: Reconciling distinct explanations for the inconstancy of radiative feedbacks In press, GRL
2017: Liu, X., D.S. Battisti, and G.H. Roe: What Determines the Meridional Heat Transport: Insights from Varying Rotation Rate Experiments In press, J. Climate, June.
2017: Ding, Q., A. Schweiger, M.L’Heureux, D.S. Battisti, N.C. Johnson, E.B. Wigglesworth, Q. Zhang, K. Harnos, R. Eastman, and E.J. Steig: Influence of the recent high-latitude atmospheric circulation change on summertime Arctic sea ice. Nature Climate Change,