- Synoptic and Mesoscale structure of Midlatitude Oceanic Storms
- Predictability of West Coast Cyclones
- Winter-time Lightning in Cold Air Outbreaks over the Ocean
- Remote Sensing of Water Vapor and Precipitation
- ATM S 290: The Weather Challenge
- ATM S 370: Introduction to Synoptic Meteorology
- ATM S 442: Dynamics
- ATM S 502: Introduction to Synoptic Meteorology
- Atmospheric Sciences Department Teaching Award (1999, 2004, 2011, 2015, 2017)
- NASA PMM Science Team Award (2016)
- UNIDATA Strategic Advisory Committee. Advise UCAR UNIDATA on longterm directions for UNIDATA (2013-present)
- Member of the AMS committee on Mountain Meteorology (2017-present)
- Associate Editor for Weather and Forecasting – provide reviews when requested by Editors of Weather and Forecasting (2010-2015)
- Editor Weather and Forecasting – oversee reviews for submitted papers to Weather and Forecasting, and make decisions to accept or reject papers. Work load about 2 – 4 papers/ month or 30 – 40 papers/year (2016-present)
Houze, R. A., Jr., L. A. McMurdie, W. Petersen, M. Schwaller, 2015:OLYMPEX: Ground Validation Experiment Field Operations Plan. Copies available at http://olympex.atmos.washington.edu/docs/OLYMPEX_OpsPlan.pdf
McMurdie, L. A., R. A. Houze, Jr., C. R. Mass, J. D. Lundquist, D. P. Lettenmaier, W. Petersen, M. Schwaller, 2013: Implementation Plan for OLYMPEX. Internal Document. Copies available at: http://olympex.atmos.washington.edu/meetings/meeting1.html
Zagrodnik, J., L. A. McMurdie, R. A. Houze, Jr., 2017: Stratiform precipitation processes in cyclones passing over the Olympic Mountains. J. Atmos. Sci., to be submitted April 2017.
Houze, R. A., Jr., L. A. McMurdie, W. A. Petersen, M. R. Schwaller, W. Baccus, J. Lundquist, C. Mass, B. Nijssen, S. A. Rutledge, D. Hudak, S. Tanelli G. G. Mace., M. Poellot, D. Lettenmaier, J. Zagrodnik., A. Rowe, J. DeHart, L. Madaus, H. Barnes, 2017: The Olympic Mountains Experiment (OLYMPEX), Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., accepted.
Houze, R. A., Jr., K. L. Rasmussen, L. A. McMurdie, M. M. Chaplin, and A.Kumar, 2017: Structure of the storm producing the June 2013 flooding in Uttarakhand, India. Mon. Wea. Rev., in review.
McMurdie, L. A. and B. Ancell, 2014: Characteristics of short-term predictability of land-falling cyclones along the North American west coast Mon. Wea. Rev., 142, 301-319.
Ancell, B. C., and L. A. McMurdie, 2013: Ensemble adaptive data assimilation techniques applied to land-falling North American cyclones. In: Data Assimilation for Atmospheric, Oceanic and Hydrologic Applications (Vol. II),” Xu, L., and S. Park, Eds., 555-575.