- Tropical meteorology
- Air-sea interactions
- Mesoscale dynamics
- Numerical modeling
- ATM S 123
- ATM S 234
- ATM S 456
- 2012 Fellow of the American Meteorological Society
- 2007 A.P. Sloan Foundation Leadership Award for Advancing Underrepresented
- Minority Students in Mathematics, Science and Engineering
- 2006 NASA Group Achievement Award for Tropical Cloud System Processes
- 2002 First Place Award, the National Collegiate Weather Forecasting Contest, the
- Faculty and Staff Division (2001-2002).
- 2012 – Editorial Review Appointee for National Research Council Reports
- 2004 – 2006 Editor, Weather and Forecasting, America Meteorological Society.
- 2000 – 2003 Associate Editor, Weather and Forecasting, America Meteorological Society.
- 1991 – present Member, The American Geophysical Union
- 1984 – present Member, The American Meteorology Society
- Vice Chair, the National Academies Board on Atmospheric Sciences and Climate (BASC) (2011-present)
- The National Academies Space Studies Board Steering Committee for the 2017 Decadal Survey for Earth Science and Applications from Space (2015 – present)
- UCAR Board of Trustees (2017-2020)
- UCAR Community Advisory Committee for NCEP (UCACN) (2014 − present)
- American Geophysical Union – Executive Committee of the Atmospheric Sciences, Chair, AS FM committee, Secretary for Physics, Dynamics and Climate (2014 − present)
- Science Advisory Board for the Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) Model (2008− present)
- Science Advisory Board for UCAR/NOAA/NSF Developmental Testbed Center (DTC) (2009 − 2014)
- The National Academies BASC Committee on Frontiers of Decadal Variability (2015)
- The National Academy of Science Committee on Progress and Priorities of US Weather Research and Research-to-Operations Activities (2008 − 2010)
Dietrich, J. C., A. Muhammad, M. Curcic, A. Fathi, C. N. Dawson, S. S. Chen, R.A. Luettich Jr., 2017: Sensitivity of storm surge prediction to atmospheric forcing during Hurricane Isaac (2012), Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal, and Ocean Engineering, accepted.
Chen, S. S., and M. Curcic, 2016: Coupled Modeling and Observations of Ocean Surface Waves in Hurricane Ike (2008) and Superstorm Sandy (2012), Ocean Modeling, 103, 161-176. doi:10.1016/j.ocemod.2015.08.005
Chen, S. S., B. W. Kerns, N. Guy, D. P. Jorgensen, J. Delanoë, N. Viltard, C. Zappa, F. Judt, C.- Y. Lee, and A. Savarin, 2016: Aircraft observations of dry air, ITCZ, convective cloud systems and cold pools in MJO during DYNAMO: Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 97, 405-
423. doi: 10.1175/BAMS-D-13-00196.1
Judt, F., S. S. Chen, and J. Berner, 2016: Predictability of tropical cyclone intensity: Scaledependent forecast error growth in high-resolution stochastic kinetic-energy backscatter ensembles, Quat. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 142, 43-57. DOI:10.1002/qj.2626
Curcic, M., S. S. Chen, and T. M. Özgökmen, 2016: Hurricane-Induced Ocean Waves and Stokes Drift and their Impacts on Surface Transport and Dispersion in the Gulf of Mexico, Geophys. Res. Lett., 43(6), 2773-2781, doi:10.1002/2015GL067619.
Zhu, P., Y. Wang, S. S. Chen, M. Curcic, and G. Gao, 2016: Impact of storm-induced cooling of sea surface temperature on large turbulent eddies and vertical turbulent transport in the atmospheric boundary layer of Hurricane Isaac, J. Geophys. Res. – Oceans, 121, 861–876. DOI: 10.1002/2015JC011320