Three UW Atmospheric Sciences faculty recognized through American Meteorological Society Awards and Honors program

Three UW Department of Atmospheric Sciences faculty members have been recognized through the American Meteorological Society (AMS) Awards and Honors program. Every year, AMS accepts nominations to honor outstanding individuals and organizations whose work has impacted the weather, water, and climate science community. Several awards are offered ranging from broadcasting and journalism to science and technology. This year’s winners will receive their award or honor at the 101st AMS Annual Meeting to be held in January 2021.

Here are the AMS 2021 awards and honors recipients:

David S. Battisti

David Battisti
David Battisti

Battisti received the prestigious Carl-Gustaf Rossby Research Medal for original, insightful contributions to understanding climate variability for phenomena ranging from the El Niño/Southern Oscillation and the Pacific Decadal Oscillation to paleoclimate.

This award is granted to individuals for exemplary contributions to furthering the understanding of the structure or behavior of the atmosphere. The Carl-Gustaf Rossby Research Medal is the highest award AMS can grant to an atmospheric scientist and is a tremendous honor. Nominations are reviewed by the Atmospheric Research Awards Committee, which makes recommendations to the AMS Council for final approval. More information on the Carl-Gustaf Rossby Research Medal can be found here.

“I think our community deserves this award. I am so lucky to be able to work with so many supportive people—people who have corrected my whacky ideas, sharpen my thoughts on nascent ideas that worked out, and partnered with me to do some worthwhile science,” Basttisti shared in response to recognition of this award. “As an individual, I am confident I don’t belong on that list of Rossby medalists. Rather, for me the medal acknowledges the hundreds of great colleagues I have been lucky enough to work with and help push the field forward a little bit.”

The Department of Atmospheric Sciences has also had several previous winners of this prominent award. Most recently, Dennis L. Hartmann received this honor in 2013 for significant contributions to the synthesis of knowledge of radiative and dynamical processes leading to a deeper understanding of the climate system.

Abigail L. S. Swann

Abigail Swann
Abigail Swann

Swann was selected as the Walter Orr Roberts Lecturer for fundamental, interdisciplinary advancements in discovering the processes by which terrestrial ecosystems influence climate, and for outstanding communication between the atmospheric and biological sciences.

When asked what this distinction means to her, Swann expressed, “I am truly honored to be chosen, especially for this award that honors interdisciplinary approaches to science. I’m lucky to be able to interact with my colleagues in atmospheric sciences and have benefited immensely from the general culture of collaboration that we have in the department.”

AMS offers lectureships to recognize exceptional mid-career scientists. The Walter Orr Roberts Lecturer is selected based on outstanding contributions to the understanding of atmospheric processes through effective exchange of knowledge between atmospheric science disciplines and scientists or scientists of other disciplines. The appointed typically present a lecture at an AMS Annual Meeting or specialty conference–which may be recorded for broader dissemination and may be posted as a part of BAMS Online.

Lecturer recommendations are made by a committee of no fewer than five members of the Scientific and Technological Activities Commission (convened annually by the STAC Commissioner), which offers recommendations for final approval by AMS Council. More information about the Walter Orr Roberts Lecturer award can be found here.

Robert Wood

Robert Wood
Robert Wood

Wood was elected as a Fellow. Those who are elected “have made outstanding contributions to the atmospheric or related oceanic or hydrologic sciences or their applications during a substantial period of years,” according to AMS’s Constitution Article III, Section 6. New Fellows are elected by the Council at its annual fall meeting and the Committee considers nominations from the previous two years. More information about AMS Fellows can be found here.

“It is a great honor for me to be recognized by my colleagues for my research contributions. I am extremely grateful to the scientists who selflessly gave their time and energy to support my nomination,” Wood shared. “My career has greatly benefited from interactions with colleagues in the Department of Atmospheric Sciences, who have generously provided their insight, intellect, and enthusiasm, all with a wonderful spirit of collegiality. I am indebted to my research group members past and present, who have allowed me to pursue new ideas and directions.”

The entire list of 2021 winners can be found here.